Scott A. MacLaren litigates in state and federal courts. He is experienced in handling insurance coverage matters focusing on first-party property damage claims, including arson, fraud and coverage claims. He advises clients on a wide variety of legal matters, including coverage issues such as the investigation and litigation of Special Investigation Unit (SIU) claims, extra-contractual “bad faith” litigation, duty to defend analysis, and non-coverage legal matters such as victims rights cases, products liability cases, and transactional work. Scott has trial and arbitration experience.
Prior to joining Maloney Lauersdorf Reiner, PC, Scott worked in Portland at a large insurance defense firm where he gained valuable experience advising clients on first-party insurance disputes, subrogation, and insurance defense matters as well as gaining valuable trial experience. During law school, Scott worked at Lane County Legal Aid and Advocacy Center assisting indigent individuals with landlord/tenant issues, foreclosures, and victims of fraud. Scott is originally from the San Francisco Bay Area and has settled in Portland with his family to pursue his legal career.
- American Bar Association
- Multnomah County Bar Association
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
Articles and Presentations
- Co-Presenter, MLR’s Annual Year in Review CLE Presentation (2014-present)
- Co-Author, “Natural Disaster and their Implications upon Direct v. Indirect Off Premises Business Income Losses,” American Bar Association’s The Brief Spring 2017
- Co-Author, “Direct v. Indirect Off Premises Business Income Losses Mount St. Helens and Beyond,” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section’s Property Insurance Law Committee Annual Spring CLE (2016)
- Author, MLR’s Insurance Coverage Blog (2014-present)